How to Drive Traffic to Your Website – Part 3 of 4
In Part 1 of this series, I told you how to get your website found by search engines, thereby increasing your chances of being found by your target market. In Part 2, I told you how to keep people on your website and have them return once you’ve gotten their attention. In Part 3 we will discuss how to use content to drive people to your website and to receive high rankings in search engines.
We’ve all heard the phrase “content is king” and with so many websites and so much information clamoring for people’s attention, great content which focuses on what problem your product or service solves is key to driving traffic to your website, attracting your target audience and being found by search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo.
Your content should do 5 things:
• 1. Quickly tell people what you do and why.
• 2. Tell them what to do next (after they are clear about what you do and know your website is where they need to be).
• 3. Convince people why they should buy from you or at least subscribe to your newsletter.
• 4. Cater to different learning styles and interests.
• 5. Prove that your product or service works.
Quickly Tell People What You Do and Why
• When people read website pages, they scan from left to right and from top to bottom. To help push or pull them in the direction of where your most important content is, use headings and subheadings. For example, if you own an event planning company, you could use subheadings like “Wedding Planning” or “Party Planning” or “Holiday and Special Occasion Event Planning.” Then underneath the subheadings, you would sell the reader on why your company is the company they want to hire.
• Also within these subheading paragraphs, embed links to your services page which specifically lists the type of services you offer. Because many people are budget conscious now, perhaps you can list packages or discounts with prices. But you have to do this by embedding links they can click that will pull them further into your website. Tell Them What to Do Next
• If you offer a free gift in exchange for signing up for your mailing list or newsletter, state this with a large colorful clickable website button or large colorful clickable phrase. Your button or phrase could say, “Click here to receive your gift.”
• If you included a link to your products or services page within paragraphs, make sure that you have a strategically placed website button, “Plans and Prices” or “Features and Benefits.”
Convince People to Buy From You
You convince people to buy from you by doing three things:
1. Offering content that educates them and adds real value and knowledge about whatever you are claiming to be an expert about. People assume that if you are selling it, you are an expert about it. They should leave your website with something of value and the feeling that you are indeed an expert. Write in the context that you are really helping them solve a problem, make more money or achieve a dream.
2. Offering quality content. Stay on the cutting edge of your industry. When there is a paradigm shift in your industry, make sure that this shift is included in your website content. If you have a blog, people will wonder if you are a viable business and be leery if your last blog entry is a year ago. Keep your content fresh and up-to-date.
3. Avoid worn out business clichés such as “Cutting edge,” “Second to none” and “Innovative.” Be real and use real conversational language that people can easily understand.
Cater to Different Learning Styles and Interests
People learn differently and they absorb information differently depending on how the information is presented. So you want to mix up the type of content you offer. Below are some different content delivery methods:
• Podcasts (audio recordings)
• Games and surveys
Prove That Your Product or Service Works
Your proof is in testimonials from satisfied customers. If you are just starting out, give your product or service away for free in exchange for testimonials. Major corporations do it all the time. If you sell unique widgets, offer the widget for free on your website with the understanding that you will receive a testimonial in exchange for the widget. At the very least, include a picture of the person on the testimonial page along with their quote. If you can pull it off, a video testimonial would be even better. On the e-BlackWomenNetwork website I offer two versions of testimonials – written and video; check it out!
Please feel free to use this article in your newsletter, on your website or blog. However, the following byline must be included in its entirety and the article must not be edited in any form and must be presented exactly as it appears here.
Carmin Wharton is a business coach to women and a life coach to women who are stuck and can’t move forward to create the dream life, career or business they deserve. She helps women change their lives one goal at the time!